Mushroom and Barley Soup
On a cold day, there is nothing more comforting than this soul-warming soup … except how little time is needed to prepare it!
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearl barley, rinsed
- 8 cups (2 L) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped spinach leaves
Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme, sage, and pepper; cook for 2 minutes, or until onion begins to soften. Add mushrooms, barley, and vegetable stock. Lock lid in place and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
Release pressure naturally by moving pressure cooker from heat source, waiting for pressure indicator to show no pressure left. Remove lid, stir in spinach, taste, and adjust seasoning.
Each serving contains: 151 calories; 4 g protein; 4 g total fat (0 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 25 g total carbohydrates (1 g sugars, 5 g fibre); 141 mg sodium
Originally published on alive.com
WRITTEN BY Céline Turenne