Looking for a low-carb way to enjoy toast in the morning? Try these toasts made from cauliflower rice, egg and cheese. Make a big batch to keep in your freezer for an easy breakfast or healthy base for a sandwich (like grilled cheese!) any time.
Ingredients 4 servings
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Prep 30 m
Ready in 45 m
- Place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat to 425°F. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cauliflower in a food processor. Process until finely grated. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover loosely and microwave on High for 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Transfer the cauliflower to a clean kitchen towel and wring out excess moisture. Return to the bowl and stir in Cheddar, egg, pepper and salt until thoroughly combined. Using about ¼ cup cauliflower mixture, create eight 3-inch squares on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the cauliflower is browned and crispy around the edges, 22 to 25 minutes.
- To make ahead: Freeze baked toasts between layers of wax or parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Serving size: 2 toasts
- Per serving: 166 calories; 11 g fat(6 g sat); 3 g fiber; 8 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 90 mcg folate; 74 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 419 IU vitamin A; 64 mg vitamin C; 238 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 315 mg sodium; 441 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (22% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: ½
- Exchanges: 1½ vegetable, 1 high-fat protein, ½ medium-fat protein
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON EATINGWELL.COM
Subscribe to get exclusive content on contests, deals, events and more!