Soft and Fluffy Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
These Soft and Fluffy Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls are made with a combination of millet and rice flours and filled with a rich mixture of brown sugar, butter (or non-dairy butter), cinnamon and vanilla. They smell so good right out of the oven—be sure to spread these delicious rolls with our sweet glaze and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- 1 cup Warm Water 105-110°F (237 mL)
- 4 tsp Active Dry Yeast (13 g)
- ¼ cup Honey or Sugar
- 2 ½ cups Millet Flour (400 g)
- ½ cup Brown Rice Flour (80 g)
- ¼ cup Gluten Free Egg Replacer (prepared according to package directions) or 4 Whole Eggs (40 g); if using whole eggs, watch the dough to see how much liquid you need to add in the end if any
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp Xanthan Gum (15 g)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Olive Oil (60 mL)
- ½-1 cup warm Water, as needed
- ½ cup Brown Sugar (108 g)
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp softened Butter or Dairy Free Butter (42 g)
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar (240 g)
- 2 Tbsp softened Butter or Dairy Free Butter (28 g)
- 2-3 Tbsp Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Place warm water, yeast and honey or sugar in a small bowl; let sit for 5 minutes or until active and bubbly. While waiting, prep dough ingredients.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine millet flour, rice flour, egg replacer, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Next add the yeast mixture and oil to the flours. Blend on medium using a dough hook. Add additional water as needed starting with a tablespoon at a time. Knead in your mixer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover your work surface with a layer of plastic wrap or silicone sheet pan liner. Lightly flour your work space with rice flour. Place the dough on the floured surface then lightly flour the top of the dough with rice flour. Cover with plastic wrap. Roll the dough into rectangle about ½-¾ inch thick, depending on how thick you like your rolls. Spread the softened butter on the dough about ½ inch from the end. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the butter.
- Using the plastic wrap or silpat to guide the dough, roll the dough away from you making sure you get a good firm roll. Seal at the end. Cut the rolls evenly into 8 rolls. Place in a parchment-lined 9-inch baking dish or 9-inch cast iron skillet. Lightly cover the dough with plastic wrap or a light towel. Either leave in a warm draft free place in your kitchen or place in your oven with the light on. Allow to rise until doubled in size. This will take 1-2 hours, depending on how warm your area is. The oven only takes about an hour. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, but still soft.
- Allow the rolls to cool for about 5 minutes while you make the icing.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla almond milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Spread evenly over cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON BOBSREDMILL.COM